At the end of 2016, I simply said ‘it was a struggle.’ While I feel like 2017 is ending on a positive note (minus the fact that I’m sick and in my pjs on NYE), I would be lying if I said it was all puppy dogs and rainbows. One of my most vivid memories of 2017 was sitting on an airplane in tears and saying to myself, ‘Just make it stop.’ Real life folks. There was no magical switch but the clouds are most definitely clearing and joy is becoming more of the every day rather than the far off dream.
The two constants in the clearing of those clouds were taking risks and waiting. While they seem like complete opposites, I believe that they go hand in hand. Wait for the right moment and then jump, risk it all and know that you can fly.
I am thankful for the way the last few months of year have gone and as always, I did learn a few things along the way… So here are a few thoughts on what I have learned.
- A simple hug from someone I love means more to me than I ever realized. I need hugs.
- Having a normal life (working the 9-5 office life) is kind of nice. Having a life from 5:00p on and not wondering if you are going to be on an airplane in two days, but rather just enjoying your personal life is such a sweet spot.
- Fighting (really fighting) for something is the hardest, but most rewarding thing I have discovered.
- Never hold back or withhold how you feel about someone, they should always know your heart.
- I love being home. I have such a greater appreciation for that simplicity than I ever have.
- Taking risks is part of living life. Take the risk and be ok if it ends in a fall.
- Invest in the small luxuries like fresh flowers for the kitchen table.
- Mat Kearney is still my favorite artist and more people should know who he is.
- I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. I feel like I can never quite grasp it.
- Online shopping has forever changed my life and I love it. No, sir, I don’t want to fight the after 5:00pm traffic to get anything, doorstep delivery simplifies my life in the best of ways.
- Sticky Bras > Strapless Bras
- You can’t have enough white planters… and they are incredibly hard to find
- Unemployment is hard. Don’t underestimate that time or judge a single soul that is going through that. If you haven’t been there, you have no clue – time spent, emotions, finances – don’t’ judge.
- Life is never a fairy tale, but don’t miss your own fairy tale waiting for the made-up fairy tale you have in your head. Perfectly imperfect is better than perfect could ever be.
- If you have a doodle, do yourself a favor and find a good groomer so your not angry at every shaved haircut.
- Cheese should be its own food group. I love cheese, like a lot.
- A friend introduced me to Suits and now I’m weirdly attached to the characters and can’t stop watching. It’s the new, ‘How I met your mother’ that I’m addicted to.
- Ebates is legit. Cash back every quarter and supporting my online shopping ways. Sign up here!
- Getting glasses for eye strain (I otherwise don’t wear glasses) while on the computer all day has changed the headache game epically. Felix Gray is a great choice if you are looking!
- A walk is the best medicine.
I’m ready for an amazing 2018, how about you!?