Indiana University is known for those Sample Gates, candy cane striped pants and basketball. It’s a stunning campus and each year thousands of students come flooding into the campus for another epic year. Mike and Beth were just two of those many thousands that flooded in their freshman year and three more years after that.
They met during their freshman year, Beth from northern Indiana and Mike from southern Florida. (side note: It’s kind of amazing to me to watch lives collide when you would never think there is a chance – news flash, Indiana and Florida are not neighboring states) After a number of frat parties and Kilroy’s run ins, these two gems finally started dating their Junior year living the blissful college life. After graduation, Mike returned to Florida for grad school. And for all those haters that think long distance cannot survive… 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽
And like the epic romance story, Mike came back to the great state of Indiana after school the continue to pursue his girl (and there are a hundred girls that are still hopelessly wishing for this. Good work Mike). And they lived happily ever after 😉
But for real, they are the happiest and sweetest two people. Living downtown Indianapolis and planning their wedding for the fall of 2017 all love struck and googly eyed and in love with their best friend. We headed back to where it all began, Bloomington, Indiana, on a crisp spring morning for their engagement shoot. After all, this is where it began and where he proposed, so photos here were a must! Enjoy!
And these two are model status am I right!?
Xo, Kortni Marie
Kristen and Danny are two of those people that you just want to squeeze. They are simply the sweetest people. They are that movie, fairy tale couple where nurse found fire fighter and now make the ultimate super hero couple. (if you missed their engagement photos where they so perfectly dressed in uniform, you can check those out here) I met Kristen and Danny through a sweet friend of mine and was able to get to know them a little better as we planned their engagement session in Ybor City, Tampa and made final arrangement for their wedding in Melbourne, Florida at the Brevard Zoo. Danny is unlike most grooms and actually stepped in and handled some pieces, photography in particular, for his bride. If you have not experienced the details of a wedding, this is a shocker. He is a good communicator and planner and always had Kristen at the top of mind. Kristen has the sweetest soul and had things under control without the panic (that sooooo speaks to my heart). And together they are both the best huggers. Yes, they are all things fabulous too, patient, kind, great communicators, but dang, a good hug goes a long way. Fist pumps to the both of you on that 👊🏽
And then we come to their wedding day…. The most perfect Florida, winter day. The Brevard Zoo added the most epic sheet of green for backdrops that is bound to make any heart swoon. The details were to perfection. She looked stunning. He loved her so well. Enjoy a little snippet of the day 🙂
Xo, Kortni Marie
Typically to recap the year I include my favorite photos from a variety of shoots, but this year I decided to do things a little differently. You see the images and we all have our individual favorites. So instead, I thought I would recap the year on what I learned. What I learned as Kortni Marie, a small business owner, a photographer, a friend, a coworker, a part of Corporate America, a new home owner, a daughter and so on and so on. 2016 was a tough one. I want to say is straight up sucked, but a friend put it so perfectly over cocktails last night, ‘2016 was a struggle.’ With the struggle comes many lessons but also many tears and countless other emotions that you can fill in the blank with.
So I have listed 25 things that I have learned in 2016 through the struggle (and some not so much on the struggle train) and you can take them or leave them, but from my experiences and my heart, here they are….
- We waste a whole heck of a lot of time in our days with unnecessary red tape and the glorification of busy. It is totally NOT necessary and is a joy stealer
- Avocado toast with an egg on top brightens my morning.
- I need to become more digital and ditch the paper notes I have covering my calendar and computer. Notes app on my Mac and iPhone are about to become my new best friend.
- The best tip to keeping a plant alive is to not water it. I water and it dies. I leave it alone, it lives.
- I love interior design more than I imagined I could. Owning my own home has launched that love so very much. I love tweaking spaces.
- A dog is the best therapy. Without Miss Nina…… I won’t even go there. Let’s just say it wouldn’t be pretty
- I didn’t host as much as I should have. I love hosting and welcoming people into my home, but I let life get too busy and the non-priority items took priority. Rerouting in 2017 for people to become the higher priority and not the things you think are important (but are not at all).
- My all time favorite thing to make for dinner is peach, balsamic and goat cheese pizza. OBSESSED. Check out the recipe here.
- No matter what happens, I will survive. There are a lot dumber people our there that are still making it just fine. So even when I have no idea what I am doing or I think the worst thing just happened, it will be ok.
- The song ‘Thy Will‘ can send me into tears at any time.
- theSkimm is the greatest start to your morning. News that is funny and witty and to the point. Perfect morning coffee ritual.
- No matter how travel savvy, you will probably get your purse stolen once in your life. When it does happen. Laugh it off, it will be a good story and go ahead and ride in the back of a foreign cop car for bucket list purposes.
- Keep fighting for what is right even if you are never rewarded. You are doing it for you and what your heart knows to be right not for the praise or rewards of others. Keep fighting no matter what.
- Paris is even more beautiful than I expected.
- Wake up every morning for people, not the job, not the paycheck, not what you may think success is, not anything else but people. People and the influence you have by existing is the greatest reward.
- I never cut correctly as a kid slalom skiing. Why did no one help me? Reteaching myself started this year and my body hates me after, but it also feels so good.
- Buy an inflatable swan as an adult. They are not just for kids.
- London is still one of my favorite cities to visit (even after 2 visits this year).
- I love to read, but I can’t stay awake to read no matter how amazing the book is.
- Weekend getaways are sometimes better than week getaways. Make them happen, don’t make excuses.
- Welcome mats are made much to small. Small is pointless, go with oversized and make a statement.
- Saying no is a good thing, a good thing in business and in life. Saying no sets boundaries and sets you up for success more than 100 yes’ will.
- Airplanes are the best places to think and to sleep. Nothing can touch you up there. No dream is to small. No dream is impossible when your up in the air. Then take a nap.
- The new MacBook Pro has an emoji touch icon so you can add emojis to anything you like. I love that.
- I should have added a garden tub to my master bath. An adult bath with bubbles and candles and red wine is always necessary.
What did you learn this year? Any take aways? Cherish the lessons but let’s be serious, 2017 is bound to be a good one. More joy is coming.
Xo, Kortni Marie